It’s the week before Christmas. Anyone else feeling worn to a nub? Let me tell you a secret. Taking good care of yourself is the best present you can give to your kids or loved ones. It is so important to your physical and mental health to take a little time for you. That could mean blocking out a few hours to prepare healthy meals and snacks so you don’t overdo it on junk food. It could mean making sure you get 8 hours of sleep each night. It could mean getting your 30-60 minutes of exercise per day. Whatever it means for you, do it!
There are many times in our lives that we have to say “no” to things. During the holidays, this feels more difficult than at other times but it might be one of the healthiest things you can do. Our kids want us. Our families want us. And we want our kids and families to have wonderful, magical memories of the season. Those memories will not be so wonderful and magical for them if you are not in a good place healthwise. So, do everyone a solid and make sure you are making healthy choices for yourself!
Here are some ideas:
- Set aside some time to relax and be quiet.
- Ask for help, or hire it out when possible.
- Make and stick to a morning routine. Having things done regularly in the morning can make your entire day go better!
- Choose the things you want to do, skip the things you do not want to do.
- Limit your time on social media. Comparing your own holiday plans to those of other people could potentially steal the joy from your own activities.