Ever feel overwhelmed when you look around the kitchen after dinner? A really good way to make sure you don’t have an hour’s worth of cleaning to do after dinner is to “clean as you go” while preparing dinner. It works in theory. It works in practice. Do I always do this? Of course not, but I wish I would be more disciplined.
Here’s the best way I have found to go about it:
- Start with a clean kitchen. Seems pretty simple. Make sure the dishwasher is empty, clean dishes are put away and the counter tops are clean.
- Run a sink full of soapy water before you do anything else.
- As you dirty up bowls, cutting boards, knives etc. place them in the dishwasher (if they are dishwasher safe) or wash them in the soapy water.
- If you spill something, wipe it up right away.
- Leave hot pans on the stove to cool. Submerging hot pans in water can warp them.
After you’ve eaten, you can hand wash your pans that were previously too hot, place your plates, cups and forks in the dishwasher and start it. Wipe down the table and counter tops one more time. You’re done!
Easy peasy, lemon squeazy.
Now, just be sure you unload your dishwasher in the morning for the next night’s dinner prep.